Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mr. & Mrs Wagner

I had to laugh this morning as i looked at the Fog in my area. Takes me back for sure. Mr. & Mrs. Wagner were our neighbors down the road a quarter mile or so when i was a young boy. I seem to remember Mr. Wagner has some sort of nervous twich that gave him the shakes whenever my brothers and I were around. At first i thought I got dizzy at just being at their house but whenever he left the room the world straightened out.This story revolves around my 9th year when the early spring came. During the old days farmers built their homes close to the road to use all the land they had for planting. Mr. Wagner was no exception as his house was only 50 feet or so from our blacktop 55mph road. The year the spring came early was the year I really came into my own throwing things. We had built an Igloo from those plastic blocks you could get at the five and dime in town and made a large breast works around it. The fort stood until late March it was so solidly packed with ice. Feburary brought the spring. Fog so thick my mom tried cutting it and serving it for dinner.We were playing outer space invasion after dark and as the enemy rocket ships came down the road we would throw snow balls at them. Knowing our chances were slim because our fort was 100 yards from the road we decided to charge the offenders and use Mr. Wagners pine bushes as our forward defenses they being a scant 10 feet from the road increased our odds of killing space creatures to about 100%. One of those Space ships was piloted by none other than Officer Jim whom my father had a long sometimes stressful relationship with. As the ship approached we hid behind the pines not knowing who was even coming. My brother yelled oh crap about 1/10th of a second too late.Remember coming into my own? You guessed it Jim caught one square in the driver window that so startled him he slid in the ditch. Mr Wagner had the pleasure of pulling out his car and getting brownie points with the local athorities but failed to see the bonus in his efforts. As for my brothers and I we were sure they had the situation under control so we ran off in other pursuits. And I mean RAN. Mr. Wagner shortly there after became a white haired gnome...but thats a story for another time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment